select all and deselect

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun May 20 11:07:44 CEST 2007

On Sunday 20 May 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Sunday 20 May 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > So as we will allways have a selection, we will allways have marching
> > > ants ? Or are you suggesting that we should keep having a "no selection
> > > state" and a "everything is selected state" ?
> >
> > In Gimp, the marching ants don't march if you have selected all (which is
> > the state Gimp starts in).
>
> In Gimp 2.3 then :) Because in 2.2 the ants are certainly marching. And in
> 2.2 it starts unselected. So in 2.3, do they still have a "select all" and
> a "non" entry menus ? And if they do, have you notice any difference ?

Hm, yes -- if you do select all, you get marching ants. But you can still cut
and copy the pixels if you do select none.

Bah. I'm writing a nice and long response to the first mail in this
discussion, but I think I'm not done thinking about the problem and the
design. Maybe later tonight. I'll just do some more masks work for now.