Initial project for GSoC

Emanuele Tamponi emanuele at valinor.it
Tue May 15 15:46:54 CEST 2007

Hello people,
I'll try to explain what I want to do to achieve my soc project.
It's not a pondered decision, it's just what I'm thinking about after
reading some papers.

My question, through all the post, is: "Is Krita design compatible with
this?"

I'll try to implement the Van Laerohen model: it's a 3-layer canvas
structure that updates every dt seconds.
Every update will apply the changes to the layers, and render the canvas
contents to the screen.

This can be achieved with Overlays (right?).

This implementation is what I called "Physics filter for drying and
running paint".

The paintop thingie is a bit more challenging.
The paintop has to be able to get the input from tablet, read the status
of the canvas, and communicate
the result of his computation to the canvas (with "canvas" I'm referring
to the van laerohen's model).

The model assures that the paintop code will not interfere with the
overlay behavior since it's just about
"setting" the initial conditions to the canvas.

The color mixer is just a "painterly tool". Do we want to be able to use
it only with the painterly paintop,
or we want a less "painterly" behavior? In my opinion, the better thing
is giving to the user an interface exactly like
the "palette" of an artist. So the color mixer would be strictly related
to the paintop, and will use something
like the 3-layer structure of the overlay.

But, well, the color mixer needs to be reviewed, I'm not too convinced
about it.

Thank you in advance,
Emanuele