Semi-regular status update

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 29 19:27:27 CEST 2007

Just to keep everone in the loop on what's being done by whom and what needs
to be done but is being done by no-one. Excuse typoes, I've got a cold fit to
kill a horse.

________GSOC:

There are a couple of rather interesting proposals:

* Painterly features for Krita (Emanuele Tamponi)
* Selection visualisations (Sven Langkamp)
* Add "parameter masks" to Krita's filter layers (Moritz Goebelbecker)

I'm hoping that we'll be getting at least two projects this year for Krita.

________Work in progress/work done

* Casper has implemented a koffice-wide zoom tool, so I could remove ours

* Casper has fixed the scaling of small areas when zoom < 2.0.

* Thomas has implemented a koffice-wide pan tool, so I could remove ours

* I've removed the text tool, given the text flake

* Sven ported the rectangle and ellipse selection tools

* Sven fixed issues with undo and redo

* Cyrille integrated the plot widget in the bracketing plugin (but did that in
his own branch, so nobody else can see it)

* Cyrille added YcBcr colorspaces

* Cyrille added loading/saving of adj. layers to the openraster file format
code

* Boud made the color and size of the checkers configurable (works) and made
an option to make the checkers move with the image (doesn't work, no clue
why, the code looks sensible to _me_.

* I've added a channel flags bit array to the convolve op in the colorspaces
so we can sharpen just a subset of channels (important for the LAB demo I
want to give at LGM2)

* I've added channel flags everywhere so compositing a subset of channels
becomes possible. Still needs serious debugging, though.

* I've made a serious start with ripping out the qt model code from the layer
classes and putting it into a separate model. If I wasn't buying and selling
real estate property right now, I'd probably be even further along with that.

________Future

* Bart has hinted he might have time for hacking on something called "image
pyramids" next week...

* I've asked Adrian whether he could take a look at the opengl canvas, and he
said he would bring his machine up to date and take a peek.

________Problems

* The qpainter canvas doesn't render correctly if there are transparent areas
in the layer stack.

* The filters don't show their preview -- and don't seem to work

* Qt4.3 includes scaling code similar to the code I mooched from Gwenview. Two
problems: 2) it doesn't yet include the mmx code, so it's a lot slower than
our code with mmx asm, and 2) it doesn't include Casper's rendering fixes.

* Spurred on by Thomas and Casper, I've tried to assemble enough information
so we could create a provisional release schedule for KOffice 2.0, but that
was an exercise in futility. I'll try again in a month or two.

* my chinese brush paintop crashes krita on startup :-(

________To be done (aka regressions vis-a-vis 1.6)

* port the rest of the tools
* port the rest of the filters
* the overview box isn't active
* the color selection palette isn't connected (and it should be a smaller one,
for a docker, I think)
* the grouping of tools in the toolbox needs to be implemented
* we're missing lots of icons
* there's porting work to be done about kis_config
* and much, much more... See:
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/ToDo and
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/Roadmap.