API problems with krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 24 21:27:36 CET 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 18:46, Schleimer, Ben wrote:

> Does this make sense? Is there functionality in krita
> to do this already?

No... But do I understand you correctly that what you basically want to do is
view the image data by plane? Doing that is a problem with our current
design. Adobe's GIL is designed to make this easy (but as far as I can tell
doesn't do much else).

I'm not sure how other raster image applications handle this stuff: I could
image we could create a "KisChannel" paint device that returns iterators that
only give back one channel. I should look at how the Gimp implements its
channels, or ask pippin for good literature. Let's do that right away
anyway :-)

On a similar topic: we're working in Krita 2.0 to make it possible to
composite one channel or a subset of the channels of a paint device and to
run filters on one channel or a subset of channels (that is already partially
possible, with the color adj. filters, but I want to make that generically
possible, so you could do a sharpen on just the L channel of an lab image,
say).