paintbrush bristles configuration

Schleimer, Ben bensch128 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 01:47:50 CEST 2007

--- Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 15 April 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > > So everybody agrees ?
> >
> > Er, no, but real life interfered while I was writing an answer -- I think
> > that we're still in too experimental a phase to define a bristle class that
> > can be used across paintops. So I would prefer it if you could keep this
> > inside the dynamic paintop for now.
> Then comes the question of how to show the configuration to the user ?

How about making the configuration an instance member of the tool?
Make it a qobject so a widget factory can query it for it's properties. The tool can then pass in
the configuration into the paintop and no dynamic casting would be required. Whichever properties
that the paintop wants which aren't defined in the configuration qobject should be used as
default.

The current paintop configuration code in krita 1.6 is rather limited.
KisPainter should NOT be used as a data structure for the duplicate properties!

As for showing to the user, what about sliders and radio buttons for now? It's ugly but is easier
to autogenerate from arbitrary property settings...

Cheers
Ben

PS. This is my reaction to the configuration code for 1.6's paintops. I hope the situation is
better in 2.0 :)