GPL v2+, GPL v2, GPL v3, LGPL v2, LGPL v2+ ?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Sep 6 11:24:53 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 10:46, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> I forgot, you are aware that with GPLv3, krita is illegal in the US ? I
> can't count the number of patents we are violating.

That's simply nonsense. First, GPLv2+ is not GPLv3 -- we release under GPLv2+,
and others making use of our code can choose which under which version of the
GPL to do so. Second, the issue is not what you would prefer or what I would
prefer, but what is legally possible. None of us are experts, so we should
avoid unclear situations. Mixing GPL and LGPL files in the same binary object
would create an unclear situation, that should be avoided. Thirdly, what the
GPLv3 _says_ is that people redistributing the application who apply for a
patent that would render the application unfree lose their license to
redistribute. It would be nonsensical for the FSF to create a license that
would make distributing applications that violate any patent illegal. It
would be completely opposite to their whole ethos. The goal is to make
patents illegal, or at least, make it impossible for anyone to abuse patents
to hinder free software with impunity.