Floating point color in Krita

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Fri Nov 17 17:07:23 CET 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 15:46, Mikhail Lyossin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've found that Krita is working with floating point image formats, I was
> amazed it does it in a true linear space with a tone mapping to see it on
> computer display (that's a good point).
>
>  * But I was surprised when I see that numbers in color selector are still
> like I work with 8-bit image, i.e. integer 0-255 range, without any ability
> to move out of that range...
> I was expected to see there something like 0.0-1.0 floating point range,
> with ability to set values more then that, like 2.50, 3.12, 10.85 etc.. Is
> that planned to change in a future releases?
Well kind of and no
In 2.0 I'm working on a new color selector, but my first choice was to stick
with 0-255. I do follow what you mean however.
There is a good chance 2.0 will have this functionality - now that I know.

>  * Also, some susggestions about tonemapping (exposure and gamma control) -
> It should apply to every color we see in Krita, at least for every color
> that interacts with the image is beeing edited. For example, if I paint
> something in out-of-the-range region (like in 2.0-4.0), I prefer to set
> exposure to -2..-3 f-stops, and I expect exposure to be applied not only in
> the main image area, but also in color selector area, in all plugins
> preview areas and so on.
Yeah naturally. I actually thought the previews already did that.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann