student research project and krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Feb 24 23:02:46 CET 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> But what I woould like to see, other than crash-proofing and a
> really good tutorial, like the one for Scribus, is a better
> response time. I move something for example and it is seconds
> before the move actually takes place. I assume that Krita was
> written in C or C++ so I don't understand this slowness. I have
> an 800 MhZ cpu. SCribus and Gimp give much better response times.

There are a couple of things happening here -- one is that you probably
don't use the OpenGL backend. That one is _much_ faster.  The other
is -- we've just spent a lot of effort optmizing Krita.  You may not
be up-to-date with those efforts, it's stuff we did in the past two
weeks. Krita still works within the realm of pure C++ (the Gimp uses
mmx and sse assembler of this) -- but we fixed a lot of unoptimalities
already.  The third -- we're following our own learning curve here. The
Gimp has easy, with its simple-minded data model. We're learning how to
recomposite an arbitrary set of layers with an arbitrary set of color
models in real time. There are not many paint apps that will allow you to
mix a grayscale layer with a 32 bit float rgb layer with a cmyk layer. If
there are any at all. That's our task, and we'll have to learn about it.

Boudewijn