UI problems

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 20 21:27:25 CET 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 21:17, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> Getting the option widget layouts is not that hard. I have fixed some of
> them in my local tree, but the doc freeze prevents me from commiting.

I think that unless you have changed the texts you should commit this, as I
feel these are bug fixes.

> > * Canvas & dockers change position every time a different tool is
> > selected.
>
> The problem is the different size of the option widget especially the
> filter tools have too big option widgets.

I know... The biggest issue atm., but Adrian is working on that, is that every
time the dockers resize, the view window resizes, which means the image get
color-corrected and the selection mask etc. applied over and again. But apart
from that, I'm very jealous of Adobe. There dockers have got their own
problems (notably that they don't move with the parent window), but they can
affort to fixed-size them. And they have a special small-sized widget set for
in their dockers.

If I could just fixed-size all tool option widgets at 280 pixels, _I_ wouldn't
have any problems anymore. But people who use a language with longer words, a
bigger or a different font will have trouble. Not to mention that taking 280
pixels out of 1024x768 screen isn't too good an idea.

Maybe we should move the tool options to a top toolbar after all, post 1.5,
and have the filter dialog be a popout -- just like the brush, pattern and
gradient popouts.

> > * Line, polygon, polyline tool, duplicate: ? button is too big
>
> I have fixed that locally and moved the button to the bottom left corner.
>
> > * Rectangle, ellipse, polygon, polyline, star tool: not the same spacing
>
> between labels and elements
> Easily fixable, but I need to replace a the .ui based widget with a coded
> one.

If that's really necessary (and I don't doubt you here), please do.