Status Update for 2.0 and 1.6

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Sat Dec 30 12:55:03 CET 2006

On Saturday 30 December 2006 12:40, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > and we might want to use _mm_malloc (from mm_malloc.h) to get alligned
> > data for sse instructions
> Good point. Bart -- are you listening? :-)
That smells like it'll break on Solaris, but nothing some nicely tuned
#defines can't work around, I guess. :)

> > * adjustment layers somehow got fragile, probably related to selection
> > stuff. Besides, it's silly that we paint with gray levels on masks, but
> > with opacity on adj. layers. We need to make that the same
> Well we have more or less decided to use mask for adjustement layer in
> 2.0 instead of drawing on them, haven't we ?
> We have -- but this is a point for 1.6...
The main reason is that adjustment layers are some sort of selection, enhanced
so that you can paint on it with regular tools, as opposed to the masks,
which aren't a selection at all. Both approaches have their issues,
unfortunately, both in the code and in how it will confuse the user.

I think what could deconfuse the user side, might be to convert the color
(value or so) of the color you paint with, and convert that to opacity when
painting on the adjustment layer's selection. But that sounds tricky to get
right as well...

Bart