Krita's rendering model

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Thu Sep 15 14:59:06 CEST 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 14:55, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 14:45, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Oh, and what I forgot about: we already have something very close to a
> > full cache of the image, namely the projection layer. But I remember I
> > was thinking that we could, maybe, do without that being around at all
> > times.
>
> Yes indeed, I thought the same thing only yesterday evening or so. Because
> most of the times, we only composite a small part of the image, so a lot of
> data gets wasted because we usually store data for the entire layer there.
>
> And because we update it anyway each time a KisImage does renderToPainter
> it isn't very useful either. About the only time when we actually store the
> entire image in it is either when the image is small enough to be displayed
> at once, or when we zoom out. And when we zoom out, we don't actually need
> the entire image either since we can only display some pixels of it...
The projection is always up to date of the entire image.

Only we don't use it, because every time we draw an area we recomposit it as
well (even for redrawing when no tool have done any work).

So either we use the projection for something useful or we just remove it to
save memory.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann