tool activate()

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 22 13:54:28 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 13:38, Casper Boemann wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 March 2005 12:27, Casper Boemann wrote:
> > I don't know if this is cause by the activate no longer being shadowed or
> > the fact that I havn't changed the extra connects in the tool::setup
> >
> > investigating further...
>
> hmm, there is no connect in tool::setup() only a SLOT()
>
> So I guess that my initial theory was correct.
>
> Question is now just what the activate() / intro() should be called.
> KAction already have an activated() slot, perhaps this have always been the
> intention to overload and was just a misspell ?

Well, this dates from before my time -- I guess that a thorough research
effort with cvs annotate and grepping of the mailing list _could_ provide an
answer... But I guess it would be better to make a short list of requirements
for our tool UI api, and see how much that differs from the current state.

A first shot

* tools must be kpart plugins.
* tools must be able to add themselves to a toolbar.
* tools must be able to demand being placed in certain section of the toolbar
  (selection tools, paint tools).
* Every pointer must be associated with a tool. A certain tool can be
  assocated with zero, one or more pointers.
* Every tool must have a tool widget that is plugged into the control box
  (and, by the way, the widget shouldn't be wider than, say, 275 pixels,
  because I'm going to make a hard fixed width for all dockers.)
* When a pointer becomes active (i.e., on mouse down, stylus-down), the
  tool must become active, and the widget swapped. The widget should stay up
  until the next pointer comes active, or the current pointer is switched to a
  tool.
* The design we made a month ago for the toolbox should be our guide for the
  user interface; additionally, the control docker should have a tab with a
  a frame for every pointer that shows its associated tool.

I see no reason, judging from these points, to use the kxmlgui structure
with .rc files and KActions for our tools. Tools are not added to the menu
anyway, so there's only one place for the action to do its work.

Is there something I've forgotten?