A beginning of documentation

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jun 26 22:24:16 CEST 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 20:57, Mr YouP wrote:
> Hi !!
>
> I take a few time to test first release of Krita. So I decide to make a
> embryon of documentation.
>
> I don't know if I'll be able to continue it further (maybe I'll have some
> time during summer). Anyway, I paste here the plain text. I made an
> overview of all the toolbox. I also put my personnal remarks/feature lacks
> into the text.

Okay -- thanks! I'll take your text with me when I start writing the docs.
Keep in mind however that I'm currently changing the layout of the toolbox
quite a lit.

> Installation
>
> On Kubuntu, note that you need libmagick++6 for opening various image type
> (jpg, etc...)
>
> ---- Create a document -----
>
> Image Size :
> You can enter the width and height of the picture in pixels.
> You can set the resolution in dot per inch (dpi). This parameters set how
> many pixel will be print per one inch on the paper sheet
>
> -- Lack : possibility to set dimensions in inch/mm/cm/wathever.

That's not just a problem with Krita, it's a problem in general. There's a
mockup of a dialog I constructed together with someone who's really very
knowledgeable of this issue, but I never managed to implement it.

> Mode :
> You can set the color space (RGB/Grayscale)
> the profile (I don't know what is it) and the depth (is it the number of
> bits used for a pixel ?)

The profile is the icc profile that determines what color the rgb values in
your pixel really represent. Casper recently posted a pointer to a paper that
explained this in detail. It's really important: without a profile, you can
hardly speak of a color. The depth is the depth of a channel in bits. I think
I'll remove this combobox though, because the information is embedded in the
colorspace definition.

> -- Remark : Is it necessary to put Profile and depth in this dialog (why
> not in an "advanced"/"more options" button/dialog)

Depth will go out; profile is necessary. The sooner users realise that if they
want to have success printing their images they have to know about matching
colors with profiles, the better.

> Contents:
> Canvas color : you can set the color with which the image will be filled.
> Opacity : the opacity of the color chosen.
> Description : a description of the image
>
> -- Remark : Same remark about the necessary of Opacity option (should be
> moved to an advanced part)

No... The opacity is just for fun; it's not advanced, and it's not that
confusing.

Not sure about this.

> -- Lack : Possility to "erase" with background color (or is it wanted ?)

That should be added -- I think it's being worked on, it's in the TODO at
least.

> Duplicate :
> Right click to define source. Seems to have a source but behave strangly
> (white color source goes blue)
>
>  -- Remark about drawing/painting tools :
>   - Tablet behavior should be in tools options. Pressure should behave on
> opacity/size/color according to the option setted (GIMP behavior)

I'd prefer to keep this simple; for ordinary tools, size is enough. Airbrush
should regulate rate and nozzle with pressure. Advanced tools will do their
own thing with pressure. No need for options.

> ----- Geometric tools -----
>
> There are three Geometric tools, straigh line, rectangle and ellipse. Both
> behave according to current brush and color.
> Rectangle and Ellipse have a fill option that allow to fill with foreground
> color, background color, current pattern or no fill.
>
> ----- Filling tools ------
>
> Fill tool :
> This tool allow you to fill a zone of contiguous colored pixel with the
> current color or pattern (option to check).
> You can also adjust the Threshold that it the "level of difference" that
> the tool consider to pixel to have the same color
>
>  >> screenshot example should be necessary to explain Threshold
>
> Gradient tool :
> This tool fill the selected area (or all image) with gradient. You can
> choose template gradient in "gradients" or make your own in "Autogradient"
> Options :
> Shape : make small images with b&w gradient to explain
> repeat : allow you to repeat the gradient in image (make examples)
> Reverse option allow you to reverse color order in the gradient
> Anti-alias threshold : Can't see how it affect the result.
>
> ---- Text tool ----
>
> This tool allow you to write text in the image. You can adjust font
> parameters in the options.
>
> -- Lack : this tool in very basic. The first feature to add may be the
> possibility to edit text after insertion

I'm waiting until Qt4, I think, or perhaps allow KWord frames as text layers
(with effects applied after rendering).

> ---- Color picker tool ---
>
> This tool allow you pick a color by clicking on it in the picture.
>
> -- Lack : a "use all layers" option
>
> ---- Filter tool ----
>
> This tool allow to apply filters (that are in filters menu).
>
> ---- Polygons tools ----
> Polygon/polyline/Star tool allow you too draw polygones. Right click to
> close the path
>
> -- Remark : What is the interrest of the star tool ?

It's fun!

> ----- Selection tool ----
>
> Here is the most particularity in Krita : the way that it handle
> selections. the two major particularities are :
> - Selections are _painted_ (like mask mode in GIMP/PS).
> - Selections are "linked" to a layer (so you can have a selection by layer)
>
> Tools :
> Selection picker : select all pixels of same color (contiguous or not).
> Brush select : "draw" the selection with brush behavior
> Erase select :  "erase" the selection like with erase tool
> freehand select : select a zone "à main levée" (don't know english words
> for that)
> Rectangle select : select a rectangle zone
> Ellipse select : select a ellipse zone
> Polygonal select : select by drawing a polygon (right click to close it)
> Contiguous select : select contiguous pixels of same color
>
> note : Shift to contraint same width/height in rectangle/ellipse. Alt to
> move selection when drawing it
>
> -- lacks :
>  - remember the last mask color chosen (or at least put other color than
> white).

We're working on a visualisation of the mask color which will obviate the need
for a color well to select the mask color. We hope.

>   - ability to draw a rectangle/ellipse from his center
>    - contiguous select and selection picker should be side by side in the
> toolbox
>
>   -- Note : it crash once during test (by pressing CTRL-C, can't
> reproduce), the good news is the good suprising autosave !!

:-). I think Adrian's fix today fixed this.