the future of histogram

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Thu Aug 11 16:01:01 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 15:41, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Also I need to make it colorspace independent and make histogram of each
> > channel
>
> That's easy with the channel info object...
Not so easy yet. I have to get the value out of the pixel. A new cs function
returning a double would do the trick, but as I said not so easy.

> > and also be able to calculate a histogram of things like intensity
> > and hue.
>
> But that's harder...
>
> > This is more difficult so if anyone has a brilliant idea..
> >
> > perhaps it should go into the colorspace or perhaps a simpler solution
> > exists?
>
> You're talking a conversion here anyway, and a downscaling to 8-bits
> resolution, so you could simple convert the data to 8-bits rgb, and then to
> hiv or hsv for the histogram. It's only a representation, and it's a given
> that it will have a low resolution.
but we don't wan't to manipulate the data too much. It should still be an
accurate rep. of the image.

doing as much as possible in lab or xyz should do the trick though.

> However, I think we should ask Hal Engel about this: maybe we are all
> wrong.
or Jan Peter which is _mine_ contact

--
best regards / venlig hilsen