how should selections work

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Apr 17 22:05:30 CEST 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 22:01, Michael Thaler wrote:

Ah! You're still alive -- I was wondering whether you had fallen ill.

> On Sunday 17 April 2005 21:21, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > composite all layers on projection layer
> > convert layer to qimage
> > paint selection mask of current layer onto qimage (using Arthur)
> > paint other stuff onto qimage
> > blit qimage onto canvas
> > paint current tool lines, meshes, handles etc.
>
> Maybe we can steal some more code from Digikam? The Inpainting plugin does
> shade the region outside the selected region. The shaded region is not
> updated in real time like in the crop image plugin in gimp, but it is quite
> o.k.

The thing is -- their selection is only rectangular, not a byte mask. That
makes it a lot harder.

> (I really wonder how the digikam people manage to code so many nice
> plugins... and their filter dialogs are so much nicer then Krita's.  That
> is really not fair...)

They've already finished the framework and can concentrate on functionality.
We've been spending years coding the framework. Besides, they only need to
work on QImage's, a much simpler proposition.

Which is not to say that I want to belittle the achievement: digikam has
completely won me (and my wife) over. We're done in our quest for a photo
manager -- and we've got about seven thousand photos to manage. One thing I'd
really like is a digikam plugin that calls Krita to edit images.