CKMY craziness...

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Nov 23 12:11:43 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 12:06, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 11:26, you wrote:
> > And we don't need a different class to store the definition of a color or
> > a pixel; they are the same.
>
> That was my point ;)
>
> > What I was thinking was a simple class containing
> > a point to enough bytes to repesent a color and a pointer to a color
> > strategy;
>
> I am not sure, it would be very memory consuming to have a pointer to a
> strategy with the pixel.

Hm. Maybe colors and pixels must be two different things after all -- because
sometimes you need to pass, e.g., a fill color to a painter. In that case,
the fill painter needs to know in what color model the color is defined.

If you mere get pixels from paint devices to manipulate them and put them
back, you don't need the colour model in every pixel, in that case you know
which color model the paint device has. But in those cases a simple pointer
to bytes is enough; the color model can handle the conversion to channels and
things like that.

> And I don't think that is useful to have
> different color strategies on a single paint device.

That's not what I meant -- I mean, littlecms defines several types of cmyk,
rgb or grayscale. We'd ideally want all cmyk types handled by our color
strategies for compositing can easy access to conversion.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."