Design ideas about iterators

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Mar 3 11:41:08 CET 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 12:23, Roger Larsson wrote:

> What is a quantum?
> * One color component of a pixel?
> * The minimum storage unit?

The datatype that is used to represent one channel in a pixel -- i.e., it's
now Q_UINT8. I recently put some guards around the definition in kis_global.h
to make it possible to change it compile-time, like in GraphicsMagic.

> If it is a color component then we will need QUANTUM16 in the future. But

And QUANTUM32...

> if it is the minimum storage unit it will never need to change (and we
> could remove that flexibility from the definition - QUANTUM_DEPTH)
>
> To store 16 bits use two quantum...
> One RGBA pixel four (or eight) quantum.

I don't think it was intended to be used in this way. This part of Krita is
pretty closely based on GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick -- at one time Krita was
intended to use GM or IM as its core, and build an interactive layer around
it. When moving away from that idea, a lot of GM/IM constructs were copied,
one of them QUANTUM.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi