qsa, kjsembed, python

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 28 19:21:11 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 16:58, Casper Boemann wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't know much about scripting languages and DCOP so forgive me if I
> don't make sence
>
> Googling around I found this:
> http://dot.kde.org/1058540812/1058557401/1058565827/1058574023/1058581634/
>
> So my question is why do we need to choose a scripting language, DCOP
> bindings are all we really need, aren't they ?

DCOP scripts an application from the 'outside' -- it's suitable to make two
apps communicate with each other, or to do things like write the kind of
scripts one would use ImageMagick for -- batch stuff.

A script plugin would be the equivalent of Gimp's script-fu, or WordPerfect's
macro language. Add useful functions from within an application. And while
script-fu isn't accessible from within the Gimp -- you need to open an editor
and things -- a scripting facility is only really useful when you can access
the scripts from within the application, like with Nedit.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi