transform, selection, paintdevice and layer relations

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Dec 28 21:24:20 CET 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 21:13, Casper Boemann wrote:
> To reply to my own question, or rather give some further input, here is how
> photoshop does it. I'm not saying that we should do it like that, but it is
> always nice to know:
>
> In Photoshop all transforms are done within the layer, and applies to the
> selection (which is associated to the layer). If no selection is active no
> transforms can be done.
>
> Photoshop never creates another layer as a result of a transform. (AFAIK)
>
> going back to krita for a moment, I think this is how we (intend to) do it
> too.

This is the behaviour I expect from a paint app:

If there's a selection on the current layer, only the selected pixels in the
current layer should be transformed, rotated, scaled or sheared. This happens
within the layer. If the new pixels overlap untransformed pixels, they are
composed with the giving composite op and opacity.

If there's no selection, a transform on a layer should transform all pixels in
a layer, i.e., act as if the layer was completely selected. No new layer is
created. There is no composition, because the old layer data is completely
discarded.

If a transform is applied to a image, all layers are transformed. The
selection is transformed, too: in the new situation, the layer that has a
selection active still has a selection, but the shape of the selection is
transformed.

If a layer is moved, the selection moves with the layer (this is not
implemented yet).

A transform never creates a new layer (expect perhaps temporarily and it
wouldn't be visible to the user).