Resource loading

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Aug 23 15:01:59 CEST 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 14:54, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> I think it would be better to load the resouces inside the resouce
> mediator and use e.g KisResourceServer::brushes() to make sure that they
> are loaded more than once.

"Not" -- I guess you mean. Yes, something like that, analogous to the tile
mediator. But is there need for the view to posses its own brushes? There are
per-brush settings, and perhaps we don't want those (e.g., use as mask) to
propagate to all other views, or perhaps we do... I'm not sure. It sure
_sounds_ logical to assume that a brush is a brush and a tool is a tool, and
that the current settings for a tool are the same from view to view. After
all, when I pick up a brush in real life and I dip it in green paint, then
I've still got green paint on the brush in my hand even if I turn around to
another easel.

On the other hand, currently Krita is set so that everything that contains
visible state data is unique to each view, making it possible to have
different opacity settings and so on for different tools and brushes in
different views. That appears to be how we designed it. It also follows
somewhat logically from the fact that our dockers are closely linked to the
view (which contrasts with the Gimp, which doesn't open a new colour palette
for every open image.)

To keep things consistent, it would be best to load the resources once, and
create new instances of each resource for each new view, a bit like what I
intend to do to make the tools into kparts.