How to begin ?

Mr YouP mr.youp at free.fr
Sat Aug 7 20:04:25 CEST 2004

Le vendredi 6 Août 2004 20:58, Boudewijn Rempt, dans son immense bonté,
déclamait :
> On Friday 06 August 2004 20:38, Mr YouP wrote:
> > Is there a topo somewhere for the "new C++ hacker in Krita" ?
>
> Yes, indeed: http://koffice.kde.org/developer/krita. This is a bit
> out-dated, but frankly, any documentation for any application that's still
> being developed will be outdated. You should also read some of the
> discussion in this mailing list since last October, particularly the
> "hacking Krita" thread.
Ok. That's already  a departure point.

> > When I test, I see some point that I could enjoy to code or debug, I list
> > them :
> > - freehand select
>
> I'm working on this: this is also not an easy subject. Or rather, in my
> current design it is, but it isn't done yet.
ok.

> > - [free] transform (scale,rotate, etc.)
>
> If you're into real hard math, however, you might prefer to contact Bart
> about really cool anti-aliased transforms. If you're into really real hard
> math, you could do a bicubic interpolating zoom.
infortunatly, I'm not a math master :/ (I wasn't so bad but I stop quite early
for this kind of things, I afraid)

> > - layer mask
>
> There is currently no support at all for masks in Krita, so this could be a
> good start. I'm personally not sure about the difference between masks and
> selections -- but that's just me.
When I say layer mask, it's a way to manage transparency with a grascale
linked layer.
> Keep in mind that I want selections to
> work a bit different from selection in Gimp and Photoshop, in that I want,
> besides the usual rectangle, circle and select-by-color, also a mode where
> I can 'paint' selections.
Like the "Mode Masque" in photosh and GIMP (when your picture is overlayed by
a red filter and you "paint" the selection) ??

> > - levels
>
> Another interesting thing. I'm working (I need to focus: if you look back
> about four weeks in the list archives you will find a list of things I was
> working on before going on holidays) on a histogram widget, which could be
> used in a levels dialog, I guess. For the rest, you need an extended
> kgradientselect (IIRC) widget with three sliders, instead of one. It's a
> nice challenge to do a custom widget like that.
I saw it, but can't see any diagram..

> > - split view
>
> Doesn't that work already?
no, it crash.

> > Since, it's the first C++ project, I want to work on, so those features
> > may be to ambitious for beginning (I don't know in fact ;))
>
> Well, there's the old story, told in the Cryptonomicon, about the prince
> who did manage to do the impossible because he didn't know it was
> impossible. So I won't tell you you're being a bit ambitious...
Yes, I know this story (or a variation).
As I said in the other mail, I accept Casper's proposition, but I keep the
others in mind :)

Mr YouP.