moving selections

Patrick Julien kimageshop@mail.kde.org
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 06:00:51 -0500

On November 7, 2002 03:08 pm, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thursday 07 November 2002 20:02, Patrick Julien wrote:
> > ok, so what is the expected behavior if you move the selection inside the
> > image but outside the source layer?
> >
> > Should the layer be simply resized?
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. The selection should be independent of the
> layer's size. The selection can be as large as the entire image. The action
> done with the selection then applies to the current layer (or several ones,
> if they are grouped).
>
> If the current layer is smaller than the selection and you perform a copy,
> then the selected contents will be the selected part of the layer on top of
> a transparent background (or a background color if configured).

Let me try to explain this better... if you have an image with one layer.  The
image is of size 1024x1024 and the layer is 512x512.  Select the upper right
corner (64x64) of the layer and move this beyond the layer boundary (512x512)
but inside the image boundary (1024x1024).

Is the hosting layer simply extended?  or is the selection not allowed to be
moved outside the layer?  or does it become a new layer? ?!?