Krayon - WARNING and NOTICE!

John Califf jcaliff@compuzone.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:52:17 -0500

If you have been compiling and testing kimageshop (krayon) the names of
the libs and of the app have been changed to krayon and libkrayonxxx.
You will first have to uninstall or manually remove anything related to
kimageshop in your kde2 directory and in your home directory.  Manually
removing ~/.kde/share/config/ksycoca is also recommended.  Don't worry,
it will be rebuilt automatically when you start kde again and will also
register the mimetypes under the new name.  The name of the directory in
cvs is still "kimageshop" and that won't be changed until it is built by
default.

There have also been lots of big changes and improvements in the last
week and I feel that krayon is now ready to be built by default and
included in binary packages.  After the kde 2.1 release is out of the
way would be a good time to do it. By that I mean this month. This will
require changing the makefiles at the top of the koffice directory.

I've tested krayon as an embeddable part in killustrator and it works
great right now, also in koshell.  The biggest improvement recently
has   been the ability to edit images in zoomed mode.  You can even
split the view and edit one view zoomed and the changes show up
instantenously in the unzoomed view as well.  This improves the
usability of krayon for serious work at least by 100%. Most of the gui
is now complete but some things aren't needed for the app to be usable
in koffice.  Tools are improved but there is much to be done.

The import/export filters will need to be moved from the kimageshop
directory to the koffice filters, but I can't do that until the app is
compiled by default or the libs won't be found.  Also, I'll need to add
some code to allow other koffice apps to be embedded in krayon but it's
not much to add.  David Johnson is working on some documentation
(docbook) and should have something for cvs within a few weeks.

This app is very solid.  There is a small problem with an error after
the app is closed that started showing up after I changed the lib names,
but this doesn't affect how the app runs.  Somebody might want to look
at it.  I don't have enough disk space to compile kdelibs with debug so
I can't trace it.  I know of no other crash situation whatsoever.

After solving the problem of zoomed editing I know of no remaining
technical problems with the app I don't know how to solve.  Of course
there is a lot of work to do with the tools but koffice apps are always
under development.  The ideas are coming so fast I can't type them in
fast enough and things are going much better than I expected.

If you have problems compiling and running krayon after this update
please let me know. It runs fine for me but I might have forgot to
commit something needed to cvs.  It will be easy to find that out.

John