queue for copying and moving files

Stefanos Harhalakis v13 at v13.gr
Mon Oct 20 23:10:31 BST 2008

Hello there,

On Tuesday 21 October 2008, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 18 October 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Try kio/kio/scheduler.cpp, from kdelibs.
>
> This sounds rather like something related to KGet - it can already queue
> downloads from the web, it could be configured to queue file copies (except
> that the integration with kget should avoid doing too much patching of e.g.
> libkonq).

I've already though of kget and I find it non-trivial for what is mentioned
here.

For kget to work you'll need to have something like multiple queues. One
network queue and one local queue. Ideally the network queue will contain
multiple subqueues, one for each interface. The local queue will also contain
multiple queues, one for each physical disk (now that's a hard thing to find
out considering raid systems, network mounts, loop mounts etc.).

The tricky part is that a file being copied should exist in two different
queues (source and destination). Also, there is a question whether a file
downloaded over the network should also exist in a local queue (since it is
being written to a disk and LAN transfers can reach very high speeds)

At the end all this comes to a bottleneck issue where you need to identify the
bottleneck(s) and perform a kind of 'traffic shaping' there.