queue for copying and moving files

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Oct 18 12:00:13 BST 2008

On Saturday 18 October 2008, Thorsten Gensler wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I think you're asking the wrong people. The kernel developers should be
> > doing the I/O scheduling, not us.
> >
> > Remember that KDE (much less KIO) does not control all I/O.
>
> I don't think that I'm asking the wrong people. I talk about fileoperations
> like this example:
> 1. action
> mv /home/user/FILE1 /media/externHD/FILE1
>
> 2. action
> mv /home/user/something/FILE2 /media/externHD/FILE2
>
> mv is only for explain the operation. I mean mv is done in the Desktop
> Environment, not in the shell.
>
> The second action should be in this queue because it's an operation on the
> same hd. At the moment it would be started two instances of moving the
> files and it is slower than waiting for the end of action one.

The problem is we have to make assumptions of the disk-configuration. For
instance if the directories are in different mounts, then they would be
faster in parallel, if the mounts are different hardware, but not if they
share disks. If the disk is RAID-1 mirrored, then reads are faster in
parallel, but writes are not.

Such optimization has to be done by the kernel (or hardware*), because it is
the only place with enough information to do the optimizations.

*Note that if you buy yourself a SCSI or SAS disk, then the buffer on the disk
will do this kind of operation reordering for you.

`Allan