[Fwd: khtml: Why strip -plugin suffix?]

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Thu Apr 29 17:01:02 BST 2004

Koos Vriezen wrote:

>>The last one makes me nervous, as audio/x-pn-realaudio and
>>audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin are two distinctly different mime types for
>>us (.rpm vs .ra).
>>

>Does that really matter, ie. will that also result in loading a different
>plugin?

No, doesn't really matter. .rpm's are not audio/x-pn-realaudio, but the
same app will handle them in the end (and the -plugin variant is always
used in our embed tags anyway).

>I'm tempted to propose a change in the logic and strip -plugin after
>khtml plugable mime's and eg. Xine based player should start adding
>-plugin variants too.

IMO, appending -plugin to a mime type when the -plugin variant != the
non -plugin one is silly. No one should be adding -plugin to their mime
types unless they want to create a new, distinct mime type like we have
with .ra vs .rpm.

I'd make khtml try the -plugin version first, and fall back to retrying
without the -plugin, where the latter is a hack (for example,
audio/x-pn-realaudio != audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin in our case, and I
think we have the mime standard behind us here).

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com
Developer for Helix Player