[Kexi] Re: Kexi

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Mar 1 14:29:34 CET 2011

On 1 March 2011 13:39, Bryan Mitchell <bryan at aberdar.net> wrote:
> Dear Jarosław Staniek,
>
> I realise that Kexi is still under development but it seems to have the
> potential to make Open Office Base look archaic.
> Searching for a row for example is dramatically faster than with Base.
>
> My only current query is with the Menu attached to Tables.
>
> When I right click on the table name I get a menu as follows:-
> Open - Design - Export - Print - Page setup - Rename - Delete.
>
> Open,Design,Export,Rename and Delete all work. "Print" does nothing,
> likewise "Page setup".

Hello,
Thanks for sharing your view!
I am assuming you're using Kexi 2. The non-working items should indeed
be hidden. Their functionality would return, but for now replacement
for them is available and more powerful (but thus not one-click
solution): Kexi Reports.

> Is this because not yet developed? Or could it be a problem caused by
> using Ubuntu as opposed to a KDE OS?

There is no need to run KDE desktop when using Kexi. It just uses some
KDE libraries for improved User Experience.

> Also the Export function appears to be for a complete table. Is it
> possible to export just one row from a table?

Not at the moment, but this is really good idea. It would be even
nicer to see a wish filed for this feature on bugs.kde.org.
The same for the quick print/print preview functionality missing in
Kexi 2 (AutoReports would be created for this purpose).

 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)