[Kexi] mailing labels

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Dec 21 11:43:31 CET 2006

wayne said the following, On 2006-12-21 09:27:

 > What's the easiest way to print mailing (address) labels from Kexi? Is
 > there a work around?

Hello,
There is one experimental method developed in march, not directly supported by
GUI, only by command line, so I do not know you're interested. The screencast
(in polish).

There are 3 steps (visible on the screencast):

  1. Creating the database;
    http://www.kexi.pl/media/raporty/tworzenie_szablonu.html

  2. Creating the template (using oo.org Writer for now only, as I depend on
document variables, sorry);
    http://www.kexi.pl/media/raporty/

(the template is just a page that is multiplied for each record; variables in
it are replaced with values from the database fields)

  3. Generating the report.
    http://www.kexi.pl/media/raporty/generowanie_raportu.html

The result (pdf, odt): http://www.kexi.pl/media/raporty/korespondencja.pdf
http://www.kexi.pl/media/raporty/korespondencja.odt

The specifics of this approach is that there is one record per page used - as
you can see in the example, each page is a letter to a customer. There can be
more pages per record but not more records for now (unless you really need
this so I will add an option).

Moreover, the tool is not yet released. Let me know if you're interested.
The good thing about the tool is that once you have a template, you can run a
script to recreate printouts using different data sets (tables and queries are
supported).