Scheduling release of 5.5.0 for 20.02

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 22:12:07 GMT 2020

Hi KDevelop contributors, late Happy New Year once more,

having flushed out 5.4.6 yesterday, the little time it took me to do this
given experience & scripts, seeing how many commits have piled up in the
master branch since 5.4 was branched almost 6 months ago and seeing that no-
one has yet actively taken the role of being the new release manager, I hereby
offer/propose to have myself do kick off a new branch 5.5 in the next weeks
still. This delays a bit my previous plans to step back now, but not
completely though, getting 5.5.0 out would be my last contribution here.

So my idea would be: branch off 5.5 later in January, release first in
February, and no further 5.4 version (unless grave bugs appear).

Proposed schedule:

Sunday, January 19th (CET evening):
* branch off 5.5 from master
* string freeze in 5.5 branch

Monday, January 20th:
* 5.5 Beta 1 release

Monday, February 3rd  (2 weeks after Beta 1):
* 5.5.0 release, unless release blockers found

5.5.1 & ff. then will need you as new release manager finally.

If I hear no objections until proposed branching day, I would execute this
plan :)

Anyone having stuff which should end up in 5.5, please peek & poke your
KDevelop peers to get things reviewed & in. Everyone also please see the
currently open review requests for if you can give feedback by reviewing the
code & testing:
https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdevelop/merge_requests
https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdev-python/merge_requests
https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/kdevelop/ (reviews)

Sorry, no time/energy myself to do review work, as before.

Cheers
Friedrich