D5139: VCS commit message width feedback

Kevin Funk noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 10 09:49:55 UTC 2017

kfunk requested changes to this revision.
kfunk added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5139#100990, @rjvbb wrote:

  > Is it to much to expect that people actually *test drive* a different implementation (for a not-insignificant duration) before emitting an opinion?

  What makes you think we don't do this?

  > It's well known that our perception is coloured by familiarity ... and can make us prefer things that are inferior or downright wrong.

  Please just underline the /problematic parts/ as it's being done *throughout* KDevelop in all text edits. You say "colored by familiarity", I say: please let's stay "consistent" with what we have. Using an italic font there definitely *is* confusing to existing users. Modifying the letter spacing is a no-go.

  Note that Kate uses underlines for indicating spelling errors, kdev-python also uses underlines (yellow ones) to indicate style/formatting issues. So we're in line.

  Please, René, it takes lot of energy to do these kind of reviews, it would be appreciated if you'd sometimes just accept the recommendations from core developers who've been working on KDevelop for so many years already. This patch could've been pushed (in a revised form) weeks ago, but now we just keep on discussing reinventing KDevelop's/KDE's human interface guidelines for a tiny text edit.

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5139