GSOC 2015

Maciej Poleski d82ks8djf82msd83hf8sc02lqb5gh5 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 09:23:33 UTC 2015

Dnia piÄ…tek, 29 maja 2015 17:55:47 Alexander Richardson pisze:

> That depends on how the distro decides to ship the clang libs.
> I have /usr/lib64/libclangTooling.so and
> /usr/lib64/libclangToolingCore.so on my openSuSE system.
>
> Alex

Right (It's a bit strange as all LLVM/Clang example Makefiles link with static versions). I Was looking at my Gentoo system which has only static libraries in this package. But still I'm missing something. In general any update to shared library may break ABI (break packages which depend on this library). Linux distributions must handle this somehow. In openSuSE (which I use to send this message) is package "kdevelop5-plugin-clang". If update to (some package here, ex. LLVM) break ABI, then distro should rebuild all packages that depend on this updated package and bump their versions to ship new binaries as update with update to base package. That's how I imagine this. On Gentoo it is slightly different because upstream ships only source code and task of rebuilding is on portage or (if it's not enough) on system administrator. And it's not uncommon to break some packages during system upgrade...

So the question is: how this fact (of having unstable ABI) influences our decision? Even if we decide to build separate binary linking with libTooling - the same issues will apply to this binary.

Best Regards
Maciej Poleski