KTextEditor Plugins

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Sun Dec 22 15:46:57 UTC 2013

> On Sunday 22 December 2013 16:32:07 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > I can only tell, that for Kate, the multiple main windows stuff is the
> > thing
> > that caused the most segfaults in all our plugins (even in my own project
> > plugin), as it is non-trivial to get that right ;)
>
> From what I heard the main usecase for this multiple windows stuff is when
> you
> have two screens and you want two documents, or two views of the same
> document, on two screns. Maybe this use case could be served by basically
> using what split view does, but displaying one of views in a new window?
>
> That's another issue with multiple processes by the way: When you edit the
> same documents in your two processes, you will get lots of "another process
> changed this document" warnings...
That's true, but on the other side have you two nicely separated instances that can
have e.g. two different sets of files opened ;)

I really doubt that people tend to look at the same file from two screens.
I have two screens since years but never ever did that.
I have rarely the same application on both, most times one is for editing, one for run & debug (or docs & mail).

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com