Ordering the build set

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:05:59 UTC 2012

Hi all!

Seems that our build set ("Project Selection") doesn't keep the order of items
added to it across kdevelop restarts. Actually, added items of each project
are written to the project file when the project is closed, and added back
when it's loaded again. So, when kdevelop is started, items are positioned in
the same order in which the projects are loaded...
And, if one works on interdependent projects (especially when kdevelop crashes
too often due to issues with qtscript), that could be really annoying.

So I propose three possible solutions:

1. Implement a GUI of "item dependencies"; store dependencies in project files
themselves; on project load try to satisfy dependencies for each item.

2. Same as (1), but automatically add all items which are before X to X's
dependencies.

3. Store the (ordered) list of "all items in build set" on a per-session
basis.
Whether to remove the items from that list is subject to discussion; we may
remove them never (thus keeping a full history), or remove when user
explicitly removes an item. Note that keeping that list in sync with the
actual build set is senseless - then we'll lose all ordering information when
a session is closed.

Which solution of these seems most practical? (Or maybe there's something even
better, or maybe this is unneeded at all...)
I personally lean towards (3).

Regards,
Ivan.