[GSoC] User-Defined Project & File Templates

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Mar 20 11:48:21 UTC 2012

On Monday 19 March 2012 22:09:30 otzy_007 wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

CCing our development list - please register there and direct your future
emails to it.

> My name is Andrei Gliga and I am student of Politehnica University of
> Bucharest in second year at the Computer Science Department.
> I use KDevelop for everyday development, homeworks or debugging, mostly for
> C or C++, but I've used it also for Octave,  Java, Bash or Ruby . But it
> kind of lacks of templates. I've created my own templates for C and Java
> applications and posted them on kde-apps.org :D
> I think that a Project Template Generator it's a great idea and I would
> like to be the one who implements it :)
>
> My idea of how to implement it:
> 1.  User starts the "Create New Project" wizard
> 2.  He choose: "KDevelop template"
> 3.  A wizard asks him how this template will be compiled: using CMake,
> Makefile or other tools
> 4. Also the wizard asks the user the name of the main file in the template
> 5. The template files are created and the user can now customize them
> 6. Maybe the Build can be used to create the template archive and deploy it
> to the kdevappwizard/templates folder
>
> What do you think about it?

I'm not so sure on the UI-integration part yet. We already have tons of
context menu actions, and the "project" menu is already pretty full.
Furthermore, users have complained about the confusing "new project" actions -
something which would get even worse with your approach.

I think this will need some more thinking... I think the "new from template"
dialog should get GHNS integration. Maybe one could add a button there as well
to create a new template. The question then though is how to design this
wizard... The user will want to edit files, create new files etc. pp. -
actions that should not be done inside an editor I think? Imo this needs some
good ideas.

> Also the Ruby Language Support project attracted my attention, but I don't
> have ideas of how to implement it in KDevelop. I'm still learning Ruby and
> RoR. Will this be based of kdev-ruby?

Yes this will be based of kdev-ruby, but prior experience is a must there.
Miquel Sabaté, who is already working on it for some time, will also apply for
a GSOC slot for this project.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff