OutputView behavior and usage

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:30:11 UTC 2012

Hi all again,

Recently I've been thinking about OutputViews and their "history support"
(possibility to view old execution results) - esp. whether it is handy and
convenient to use history abilities. And here are some points which seem
inconvenient to me.

1. The MultipleView's behavior of opening a new tab on each job can be pretty
annoying, especially when the same launch configuration is being ran multiple
times (debugging, etc).
So I propose the following modification: make the tabs reusable (say, by name)
+ add an ability to "pin" an arbitrary tab to avoid reusing it.

2. Default view types for standard toolviews could be slightly modified. For
example, I'd like to make build views MultipleView. Also, if (1) gets
declined, it would make sense to make run/debug views HistoryView.

If the above gets accepted, the code will, of course, go through regular
review. I just want to avoid doing unneeded work which will remain unmerged.

Thanks,
- Ivan