misleading message when installing project

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Feb 12 20:09:54 UTC 2011

On 12.02.11 10:00:39, Gerhard Stengel wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. Februar 2011, 05:01:29 schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:
>
> > > I'm sorry but I don't quite get your problem. Yes if you install
> > > kdevelop into your $HOME/ then you may need to adjust environment
> > > variables for some things to be found. I'm don't quite get which of the
> > > outputs
> > > above you think are misleading though.
> > >
> > > The message about the directories like /home/gerhard/.local/share etc.
> > > are generated by a CMake macro that we don't control, but I can't see
> > > anything wrong with that output either.
> >
> > The message is actually not printed by a CMake macro, but by the
> > "/usr/bin/update-mime-database" tool during a custom CMake install
> > step. The error message is printed to stdout and the list of paths to
> > stderr, so it's not surprising they may lose proper order.
> >
> > I think this is a bug in update-mime-database.
>
> I would have expected an order like this:
>
> Note that '/home/gerhard/kdevelop4/share' is not in the search path
> set by the XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_DATA_DIRS
> environment variables, so applications may not
> be able to find it until you set them. The
> directories currently searched are:
> /home/gerhard/.local/share
> /usr/share
> /etc/opt/kde3/share
> /opt/gnome/share
> /opt/kde3/share
>
> because the paths printed out is what is in $XDG_DATA_DIRS.
>
> Anyway, it's just a trifle...

Ah, now I understand. In your original mail it wasn't quite clear which
text was from you and which from the cmake run :) To fix this I suggest
to talk to kde-buildsystem at kde.org or file a bug on bugs.kde.org. The
cmake module that prints this is in kdelibs so KDevelop cannot do
anything about that.

Be cheerful while you are alive.
		-- Phathotep, 24th Century B.C.