should we use QT_NO_GLIB=1 like kwin?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Oct 6 20:51:15 UTC 2010

Hey all,

since I spent some time today to investigate the excessive wakeups of KDevelop
while it's supposedly doing *nothing* I got a suggestion by pinotree in
#kde-devel:

He proposed to use QT_NO_GLIB for KDevelop. Indeed that removes most calls to
poll() when comparing a strace -tt -p $(pidof kdevelop).

See e.g. here how to implement:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kwin/main.cpp?revision=1177865&view=markup
search for QT_NO_GLIB.

It's very easy and for kwin it also fixed high CPU usage bugs. Didn't we have
some like these as well?

Anyhow, the draw back would be: It's not possible to use gstreamer or phonon
in KDevelop anymore as these require that glib eventloop. I personally don't
see a reason (now) for using phonon in KDevelop. In the far future one might
want to play screencasts or other media in embedded documentation...

So what do you guys think: Should we try it out? Or leave it as-is?

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de