Building a library and executable with 300 C++ files.

Victor Vicente de Carvalho victor.v.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 00:23:32 UTC 2010

2010/11/29 Michael George Hart <michael.george.hart at gmail.com>

> Hmm...... did I say all the files were in one directory or did I say I have
> 300 plus files used to build executables and libraries? Hmmmm..
>
> We'll that was not the point of bringing any this to your attention. What I
> am trying to bring to your attention is there are a class of softer
> developers who do not care about knowing extraneous stuff like build
> systems. What they care about is writing and testing their software models
> without distractions such as a build system. The prior kdevelop3, vs,
> eclipse, java bean etc don't seem to have the kdevelop4 build system
> distractions; you simply add files build, run, debug and install
>
> The problem is that most of you guys out know each other and probably all
> talk on the same forums so when you talk to each other it's like bouncing
> ideas off yourselves. So when an outsider comes and tells you have created
> something technically superior but on a whole useless to the average
> developers who simply wants to build a software model and install it into
> some default location it would be a good idea to take notes

Point from a non kdevelop developer:

I clearly disagree with you. Unless the system you develop is a _great_
mess, some level of configuration had to be done under VS or eclipse
or whatever. One of the motivational that made the company I work on to
switch from plain VS solutions to CMake ( and yes, that was prior to knowing
that KDevelop was using it) it's because it was a pita
to synchronize multiple workstations. So, if you came here and do some
severe accusation saying that are plenty of senior developers that never had
int touch with build systems, I ( as everyone here maybe are thinking also )
have to just not take as reality.

Victor