Floating Assistants

Olivier JG olivier.jg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:20:14 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 12:09 AM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> a) it is too unobtrusive, I first thought assistants are broken before I
> finally spotted that
Would changing the following fix it?
> b) it's not clear that is a tooltip or something context sensitive, it's
> placed at the bottom center and looks like it belongs to the surrounding like
> a tab title, but not do the editor.
Are you recommending to float it a bit higher?
> c) it does not use the tooltip style (that would be blue for me). Fixing this
> would probably fix b) as well.
It doesn't use a tooltip style because it's a toolbar. What pops up when
you hover over the options is a tooltip.
> d) missing margin/padding on the left
Truly so...
> e) I would change the text to:
>
> Declare "int a" as: 0 - local | 1 - public | 2 - private | 3 - protected | 0 -
> hide
>
> it will always be an in, so no need to repeat that (esp. for fully qualified
> types which might get long).
>
> Can you improve that?
I can see about fixing it, but the problem is that the type isn't known
to the assistant (which provides the label on the left), but only to the
actions themselves (which provide the buttons). As I recall the
different actions have different ways of getting the type.

-Olivier JG