Floating Assistants

Olivier JG olivier.jg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:58:14 UTC 2010

On 11/09/2010 07:15 PM, David Nolden wrote:

> This look interesting. The question is how well it works together with
> code-completion, will the float appear in a position that doesn't
> conflict with the completion-widget? Also it must be carefully placed
> so that it doesn't interfere with the users work. The good thing about
> the assistants at the bottom is that you can easily ignore them.

I made sure the placement is out-of-the-way enough, but it's true that
it may interfere with code-completion. The current assistants don't pop
up in a context where you'd want code-completion I believe, but that's
more of a coincidence than something to count on. Hrm...

> Regarding the "ignoring": Maybe it would be nice if the assistant
> system could remember whether the assistant was hidden, and from then
> on only show a mini-float somewhere at the border of the editor, which
> can be restored using alt-0.

That would certainly be good, though I'd prefer to think about that
after this is set.

> The other question is how well all the different assistants could deal
> with such a low amount of shown information. Is the widget flexible
> enough to show larger texts (maybe aligning them vertically rather
> than horizontally)?

One of the ideas in doing this was to simplify the information shown
right off, I think the tooltips are adequate for when the user wants to
see exactly what will happen. Don't you think?

Thanks for taking a look,

-Olivier JG