HTML XML DTD

Ruan Strydom ruan at jcell.co.za
Wed Mar 24 19:28:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

here is an stupid SGML example and then three DTD ELEMENT's:

<section> About SGML
<title>In the section or not

<!ELEMENT section - O (#PCDATA, title) -- title belongs to section -- >

<!ELEMENT section - O #PCDATA -- title does not belongs to section -- >

<!ELEMENT section - O EMPTY -- nothing belongs to section -- >

or even better:

<!ELEMENT section - O CDATA -- although not correct everything now after
section becomes text -- >

The idea of the parser is to create a tree but it is not possible to determine
the branches without the DTD. Or to format SGML for that matter.

In the Quata repo there is an folder DTEP with a bunch of tag files. It is
possible to use them, but it would be nicer to use DTD so that all SGML is
supported without the exporting of the DTD files. This was the motivation for
the implementation of the OASIS catalog in the xml plug-in too.

Anyway tell me what you think I and I will do it, as there is probably a
millions angles, and extreme programming (hacking ..-> re-hacking) is an
accepted methodology ;)

I think the million options is:
1) Implement an HTML/XML version and later a full blown DTD/SGML version.
2) Implement and DTD parser and later a full blown SGML/XML version.

either way SGML comes last. ;)

Let me know thanks

Cheers