On VCS changes notifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Mar 7 18:23:11 UTC 2010

On 07.03.10 18:30:13, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > On 06.03.10 19:39:28, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > I was wondering about how could we know that the repository has changed
> > in
> > > any way.
> > >
> > > Here's some ideas, maybe we can find the proper solution for that:
> > > - Provide the vcs directory from the IBasicVCS class, something like
> > "KUrl
> > > IBasicVCS::repositoryForUrl(const KUrl&);", that would mean expose too
> > much
> > > information then we could have the KDirWatch who did that.
> >
> > Can you elaborate a bit what "vcs directory" is and what you want to do
> > that?
> >
> I mean the .git/.svn directory. we could set a dir watcher on that.

I don't think thats very useful, for svn you'll have to watch a lot of
dirs and then you'll have to reload status info on all files of all dirs
that changed. With .git you might get notifications when unrelated
things changed (the config file, creating a new remote etc.) and would
cause additional status-updates which don't show any status-change.

It's all in the mind, ya know.