[kdevplatform] d3af706 Increase KDE requirement to 4.4 to fix the build f

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 15 12:06:31 UTC 2010

2010/6/15 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
>> > I think feature branches are something for "optional" features that
>> > can be merged, or not merged, but this change is vital to KDevelop,
>
> I disagree on that. feature branches are for developing stuff until its
> ready to be merged into master, no matter wether its something thats to be
> merged anyway or not.

I'm not planning to commit it before it's ready, but like any new
code, of course it will contain issues, especially because it will
also use completely new kate code. However having it in trunk instead
of in a branch will help to notice those issues faster, and since this
code will be merged anyway, it doesn't make sense to hold it back just
to notice the issues later rather than earlier.

>> > and should go in as soon as it's functional. Also language-plugin
>> > developers need time to adapt their language plugins, and it's better
>> > for anyone to work on "current" code rather than code that's already
>> > superseded. After all, that's what "trunk" is for, no?
>
> So you're planning a release of 4.1 in the next six months? Or why is
> waiting 6 weeks (roughly) a problem? Testing it as much as possible means
> moving the release date (which doesn't even exist yet) further away, not
> cramping in new stuff that only few people can actually compile asap.

I think we _must_ release close to the KDE 4.5 is release, else it
won't be possible to have a well-running KDevelop on top of KDE 4.5.
Current KDevelop on KDE 4.5 is way too unstable to be acceptable by my
measures (too many crashes in SmartRange due to the change frenzy in
kate).

I know it's annoying to raise the requirements of the development
version, but you've done the same for much less important reasons in
the KDevelop 4.0 development cycle..

Greetings, David