To freeze or not to freeze?

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 02:40:31 UTC 2010

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.01.10 02:02:57, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> > We need to give translators time to actually finish the translations.
>> > So while we can probably delay the string freeze a bit, we certainly
>> > need to give them more than a month to finalize translations - IMHO.
>>
>> But nothing stops translators from working while we're *not* yet in
>> string freeze...
>
> You know, they also have other things to do ;) The thing is that without
> a string freeze its very likely that a string change happens at a point
> where not all translations can/will be updated before the release. So
> you'd get a half-translated app, which looks even more broken than a
> not-translateable one. Hence there needs to be a string-freeze.

Well, I'm not saying we shouldn't have a string freeze at all :) It's
definitely important to have one.

But your original message sounded a bit like translators would have a month
to do the translations, when in fact they can do it right now.

Based on the current dates semi-decided, how long is the string freeze?

--
Nicolas