Contributing to KDevelop as a student

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jan 6 19:34:52 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 6. January 2010 20:08:11 Ishan Jayawardena wrote:
> Hi
> I'm a student and I am interested in participating in this year's GSoC
> for KDevelop.( I hope that KDE is going to participate as a mentoring
> organization this time as well.) And I want to prepare for it in
> advance and I'm trying to find some way that I can contribute to
> KDevelop. By now, I have compiled KDevelop and fixed a very little bug
> in the editor part. I'm really interested in the editor, auto
> completion, code navigation and re factoring issues.
> So I expect some guidelines from you to achieve my goal. What should I
> work on? Are there any issues with those modules? Who should I
> contact? what can I do to improve KDevelop? If I have a suggestion who
> should I tell? How to be selected for GSoC for KDevelop?

First of all: Welcome!

Secondly: You should start to get acquainted with the community behind
KDevelop, by reading the ML (which I assume you are already doing), but imo
#kdevelop on Freenode IRC is also an important part.

You should browse through the bugs of KDevelop/KDevplatform and triage them.
Bonus points of course if you could come up with patches to fix them.

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&remaction=run&namedcmd=kdevelop%20%2B%20kdevplatform

You said you already fixed a bug in the editor component (== Katepart I
assume?) - was it upstreamed? I did not saw a comment by you recently (or has
it been long ago?).

Also a good way to get stuff to do: Use KDevelop (i.e. with a project of your
own) and fix whatever bugs you yourself. That's basically what I do most of the
time and I have lots of stuff on my TODO :)
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de