Feature Freeze Reminder

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 10 08:13:35 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag 10 November 2009 00:14:23 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Hi,
>
> just so we're all on the same page, in about 2 weeks (yes thats 14 days)
> kdevelop will go into hard feature freeze. That means only bugfix
> commits until the final release (well, technically until 4.4 is branched
> off which usually happens at rc1).

Actually I think we will require a longer feature freeze then the standard KDE
4.4 freeze.

You've got to consider:
- We've worked at least 3 years on KDevelop4, there is _a lot_ of testing and
bug-fixing required to get a really solid release
- The KDE 4.4 feature freeze has a lenght appropriate only for a _minor_
release

I think we will get KDevelop4 into a good shape in the time of the freeze, but
I think at the end it will be more "real beta" quality than "release" quality.
And after 3 years of development I'd rather add 2 more "feature freeze" months
before releasing, rather than doing a suboptimal release. Btw. I also think
we'll get more hype if we release separately of KDE. If we release together
with KDE, then it'll just look like "one more app ported to KDE4", while the
truth is that we've created a new and exciting app.

Let's see how far we get, this is just my prognosis.

Greetings, David