automatic area switching

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 25 09:58:54 UTC 2009

On 25.06.09 11:32:28, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009 10:33:47 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > Hmm, right. I'd like to hear more opinions about the switch back vs. not
> > switch back, but if we decide to automatically switch back we could have a
> > way of showing a certain toolviews in all areas...
> Con, because I can think of cases where it would be very annoying: When I
> debug a problem, find the buggy position through the debugger, and think to
> myself "great, I can fix this right now", then I push "stop debugger", and
> suddeny the documents that I wanted to work on are switched away.

Interesting, myself I never stop the debugger for that (but that may well
be a habit trained by my over-use of eclipse for java, where
code-replacement is possible).

But yes, that would be a problem (that we wouldn't have if documents
wouldn't be part of the area ;). I agree that automatically switching back
can be seen as "too much automation".

> Maybe we should just "hint" that the user can go back into the coding area,
> without disrupting the user. A passive notification would once again fit well
> here.

If you don't want to distrup the user then a passive notification (as
currently possible) is not a good idea. Maybe we should do the same as you
suggest we do when switching _to_ the debug area, just hint with a smallish
glowing or something like that on the "last-used" area from before
debugging.

You will be awarded some great honor.