[apaku at gmx.de: Re: KDE/kdevplatform/plugins/contextbrowser]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jan 24 01:26:06 UTC 2009

On 24.01.09 01:43:47, David nolden wrote:
> Am Samstag 24 Januar 2009 01:26:26 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
> > > Then I noticed that it does not work in some other styles. Unfortunately
> > > the style-option can not be overriden app-locally, that's the reason for
> > > the hack. I think it is totally ok, since this is much more valuable than
> > > the useless ALT+release menu activation(You can jump directly to any menu
> > > using ALT+underlined_char). if we have a better use for that action, why
> > > not use it?
> >
> > And the obvious question would be, isn't making one app behave
> > differently a usability violation?
> >
> > Better yet, /why/ should it be changed for only one app?
>
> Btw. this code can be modified to allow both things at the same time. It can
> be made to only disturb the shortcut if the completion-list is active, or if
> the user used it to trigger a tooltip in the editor. I planned this but didn't
> bother too much yet.

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something but isn't the shortcut to reach the
menu "press Alt+release Alt"? I can't see kdevelop doing anything when I
press that shortcut. The only thing that works wrt. Alt is pressing it
and then using the mouse as kdevelop switches into the browser mode.

If I got the above right then there shouldn't be any problem at all, we
just need to ignore the press+release if there's not been a mouse-click
in between and the time between both press+release is short
(how short should be configurable, but maybe we can use the double-click
timeout). How does that sound?

BTW: KDevelop would not be the first KDE4 app to not support pressing
"Alt" to jump to the menu. konsole doesn't support that either. It
doesn't even support Alt+F to open the file menu.

Are you a turtle?