Tooltip when debugging

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Feb 14 11:42:07 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 14:32:35 David nolden wrote:
> Am Samstag 14 Februar 2009 12:23:30 schrieb Vladimir Prus:
> > David,
> >
> > it appears that when I'm in debug session, hovering over a
> > variable results in code browsing tooltip. Can you suggest
> > how debugger can communicate with language support to suppress
> > it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Volodya
>
> Hi! I'm not sure whether it should be totally suppressed, it might still be
> useful. Does the debugger tooltip have a variable size? Else, it might make
> sense just offsetting the code-browser tooltip down so it's under the debugger
> tooltip.

Oh, that's probably complicated. I'd say that when debugging, variable tooltip
is the element that most surely needs to be shown, so I'd rather suppress
code nagivation tooltip first, and then see if somebody comes up with a clever
scheme to show both.

> I'm not sure right now how it should be communicated though. Probably the best
> place for it would be some static members within KDevelop::ActiveTooltip.

Well, ActiveTooltip is a fully reusable class, that should not care about debuggers
or language support. I guess I have two more specific questions:

  - It's OK to suppress language support tooltip when debugger is active (no matter
    what perspective is open)? Or it's better to suppress it when we're in debug
    perspective *and* debugger is running?
  - What is the code in language support that installs the hook that shows the
    tooltop?

If I know this, I'll probably be able to hack something up.

- Volodya