KDev4: "New File" File Location

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 13:07:01 UTC 2008

On 24.09.08 08:51:14, Casey Link wrote:
> Here is a patch that changes the behavior of the New File action to
> create the temp file in the same directory as the currently open file.
> One drawback to this approach is that it actually writes a blank file,
> which means you have to clean it up later either by Saving As and
> deleting the tmp file, or Saving and renaming the temp file to be what
> you want.
>
> It would be nice if New File created a blank buffer, or prompted for a
> File Name (and possibly a location).

Exactly, it shouldn't create a file at all and in fact creating a temp
file messes up save/save-as kate behaviour (i.e. hitting save saves to
the temp file instead of asking for a filename). Unfortunately the
current design doesn't allow to easily do this and I'm still hoping that
Alex can finish his document/view re-design. If not I'll be doing
something about this before the release. The patch though won't go in
svn, creating temp files in various directories and forcing people to
clean up is not an option - not even a temporary one.

You have the power to influence all with whom you come in contact.